Thursday, October 8, 2009

"B" for Bias



The White-Haired
Harbinger of Gratitude

Tim Hare
Copyright HARE 2009
All Rights Reserved

"Shining the Rainbow Light of Gratitude
from the historic West Ward neighborhood
of Easton, Pennsylvania"

"B" for Bias

I’m grateful for the unique qualities of life I find in abundance in the West Ward,
where I live each Today. In this Blog, I shine the light of gratitude
on some specific reasons, per letter of the alphabet,
why the West Ward is an ideal place for me and my husband Earl
to live, love, and thrive.

I planned to post my gratitude about the "Birds" that alight in my garden in the West Ward. They bring much Joy to my Today's.

Mockingbirds with their exotic bijou sounds in early spring
Robins so hopeful
Bluejays so blue
Doves so lovey
Hummingbirds so unexpected
Hawks so circling my head thinking I'm a chicken or bunny dinner
Crows sounding so Alfred Hitchcock
Cardinals visiting like angels appearing always at the perfect time
Jailbirds so aplenty across the street

Speaking of Jailbirds - thanks to their rapidly growing flock, my property values (and taxes, alas) over time actually go way way way up, like an ascending Money bird!

Solely because of this ever-expanding 'gated' community of lavishly expensive 'luxury' housing - probably costing more than $5,000/per month/per resident, including health care, gym membership, abundant leisure time, etc. - located directly across from my front door - Earl and I could probably sell our house on its quarter-acre for big bucks to Northampton County for their next big prison-expansion project #-infinity!

Hey, soon we'll become too old to maintain this gigantic house, so are you listening Mr. County Executive? Honestly, we won't think it biased if you think we're old, OK?

Not to belabor the point, but as long as the buyer promises to demolish our home for a hi-rise garage or prison, it's sold!

We could take those big bucks and ride the SoleTrain Express to Solebury, Bucks County - right back to where Northampton County started from in 1752!! Hope there's no bias in Bucks County against us newly-rich!

While this might sound funny, as in non-gay, we're not exactly laughing! Isn't it strange, as in non-queer, what old age can do to a person.

But I digress. For this week's post, a different, as in non-queer, "B" word came to mind, smack dab in the West Ward!

That word is "bias."

I've had some gratitude-making occasions in the last few days to learn anew that bias could be alive and sick, and kicking, right here in the West Ward.

I was baffled to notice in some communications this week that people created like me and my loving husband are casually associated with, and I quote: commies, pinkos, faggoty-peaceniks, Nazis, snake persons, and even aliens! These other also-disparaged groups were referenced in a negatively biased context, can you believe it?

I couldn't help wondering whether, by lumping people created like me into that gaggle of other allegedly-nasty groups, a negative connotation couldn't also be implied with little effort? I know something of that accent called bias. I certainly hope so, since I've been called much much worse in my 62 years since being created just fine as a non-heterosexual!

Of course, I could be quite incorrect about the negative connotation - these associations might have been meant purely in "fun," as in non-gay. Silly faggoty me forgetting people still do that - oh, I just did it too, ROTF(not)L.

But really, Aliens? Is that otherworldly association meant to suggest that people like me invaded from Planet Queer, instead of arriving the most popular way - via unprotected heterosexual behaviours occurring within or without the sanctity of heterosexual marriage!

On the other hand, if I did actually land one distant June day from Planet Queer, could that mean there's also a Planet Heterosexual out there somewhere, just waiting to invade?

Gosh, to think that all these decades I've been brainwashed into believing that Planet Earth was already Planet Heterosexual. I suppose it goes to show what we faggoty-types know about anything! (There I go again - sorry, it's that pesky internalized self-rejection that surfaces once in awhile, especially when I'm hungry or tired).

Perhaps it might seem odd, as in non-queer, that "bias" is something I'd be truly grateful for? This notion of being grateful for prejudice and discrimination would have, at one time, seemed queer, as in normal, even to me - and here's why.

First, I choose to not take bias personally, regardless of how it's meant. I'm grateful for the simple basic truth that bias always says more about the biased person that it says about me.

An opinion of me is really none of my business. Besides, when someone points a biased finger at me, they've got three of their fingers pointing back at themselves - they just don't know that they're projecting - like some kind of sad, as in un-gay, unenlightened Mr. Hector Projector.

Second, a pearl of great value is created by being exposed to a constant irritant. So I'm grateful that my self-acceptance and Spiritual growth have been a treasured gem created these past 62 years of being surrounded daily by the irritant of bias against people created like me and my loving husband Earl.

By the way, did I mention my husband Earl? We were married in Canada in 2003. Did I mention this already, like a thousand times, as in, flaunting? We do that, you know, unlike heterosexuals who don't flaunt their lifestyle - except every minute, everywhere and everyway - those kind just can't keep a secret, look at Monica! Am I being biased when I say so? My point exactly.

Did I also mention that after 33 years together in Love, my beloved husband Earl and I are legal strangers in the West Ward and across our homeland America. Can we say it's because of bias?

Third, as a grateful citizen of America, I'm filled with gratitude that bias actually created the United States in the first place. I'm grateful that bias helps America thrive by providing continual motivation to make things better than before.

Without bias against somebody's faith-choice, class status, sexual orientation, ethnic status, nonconformity, or freedom-seeking, America would never have been created. It took many centuries of irritants overseas to motivate people to risk seeking, finding, and creating a better place to live, love, and thrive.

Fourth, bias is a potentially crazy-making (if we let it) human shortcoming that can result in much pain, suffering, and death, but can also lead to great recovery and Spiritual awakening and reawakening. This happens when the biased person and those they target finally hit bottom with that danged bias thing that can ruin it for everybody.

Finally, I'm grateful bias is a learned human failing that is so widely taught and so easily and eagerly learned, because that means bias can also be unlearned and forgotten - with just a little bit of effort by those willing to become unbiased.

8 comments:

Mrs.TMiller said...

Is Planet Queer anywhere near Planet Claire? Ha... sorry for the B-52s joke. And seriously, Tim, thanks for this post. We are so offended by the suggestion that we can be biased or discriminate, because we usually don't think we intend to discriminate. But what if, instead of being offended, we consider how folks feel on the other side of the conversation. Funny how Scripture doesn't call us to explain away our actions--or hide behind what we think our intention was--when we offend someone. Instead, we're called to seek their forgiveness.

David Caines said...

Hi all,
Let's just start with a blanket appology and go from there. The words I strung together (saddly without enough thought) were not meant to give offence but just to be sort of contradictory and stupid. In retrospect I could have done better and promise to try to do so in the future. Since the fire that moved us here, I generally try to write something then wait a few hours or maybe a day before posting. My brian just doesn't work as well as it once did. Saddly I didn't do that this time around. Well, that's that law of unitended consequeces for you.
That nothing could be further from my personal feelings is niether here nor there.
So I will take Mrs. Miller's advice and simply ask for forgiveness?
Thanks,
David

Easton Heights Blogger said...

is 'neighbors of Easton' going to turn into a soapbox for Mr. Hare's personal issues, or will it stay focused on the issues of the neighborhood?
much can be accomplished if everyone would stay out of personal lifestyles and concentrate on the real issues of slum lords, crime, drugs, and quality of life concerns.
BTW, Mr. Hare, I appreciate the way you have kept up your property. I much prefer the dark gray to the previous green.

David Caines said...

While I don't get the jump from my comments to Tim's I will protect his rights to say what he will. Even if I don't get it, but then again I've never been gay in America. I think personaly that the retraints upon those of "alternative lifestyles" are idiotic. Like it's a choice.
Still I love to hear from Tim and I love my birds as well, we've put in honeysuckle to draw hummingbirds and hope for some next year. Though we'll have to keep them away from our addopted cat.
What I think, what I hope that this points out is that we are all ignorant to some degree or another of the view points of those we share this patch of ground with, it is my heartfelt belief that all of us even in our dissagreements have at our heart the betterment of Easton.
And with luck we will come to realize that an arts community has the same value as any effort, that a green community has the same value and is in the end a part of our anti/crime-gang efforts. That one house that leaves the lights on is a step towards community.
What I most dissagree with our current government about is not it's choices, but a seeming unwillingness to exercise every option to solve our woes.
In all of us, through hopefuly some conscencous lies the answer.
Mayor Panto's seeming emphasis on enforcement in no way iilegitimizes our hope (behind Terrence to some degree) to find citizens based initiatives. With luck and a bit of good will we will find our way but not without honest debate. Am I saddened that Tim took my words to mean what I never meant? Of course I am...but my life is not his. As we go on we will hopefuly learn enough about each other to move forward together in some good faith.
That's up to us.
I hope that no person of any race, color,creed or sexuality of birth ever feels that my words are meant to exclude them. This is a huge effort and as far as I am concerned all are welcome particularly those with whom I dissagree.
Thanks,
David

noel jones said...

Easton Heights Blogger,

When I invited these administrators on, it was primarily because I know them as independent thinkers with backbone--rare qualities today in our country. I gave no parameters, but encouraged everyone to develop their own voices, and follow whatever issues concern them most, knowing that readership would follow the voices and issues they are most drawn to.

I'm delighted to have Tim Hare on board because of his determined optimism and focus on the positive, not in any Pollyanna way, but in a very realistic sense. I'd like to have more like him, to balance the otherwise negative focus into which some of our neighborhood's urgent issues can often draw us, and both skepticism as optimism are crucial to revitalization.

If you prefer the skeptics, that's fine--follow their posts instead. I'm hoping that each administrator will develop his/her own fan base over time. The many in the WW who feel they can use a breath of positivity and optimism will undoubtedly follow Tim's threads. I love a good balance, and will continue to follow them all.

Thanks for posting!

Dennis R. Lieb said...

EHB...

There is already plenty of yakking about the problems of Easton on this and many other websites...few offering real answers and getting much beyond belly-aching. (I'll try to address some of these with real solutions in my future blog posts.)

Tim, on the other hand, has earned the right to talk about anything he pleases at this point since he has probably done more behind the scenes to straighten out that section of Ferry Street (and a majority of downtown)than most people will ever know. His previous state job prevented him from participating in local activist issues for quite a while since the individual's rights under state and federal constitutions seem to become suspended once you begin working for one of those institutions.

We have 24 more letters to go!

DRL

Easton Heights Blogger said...

Dennis and Noel, I appreciate your comments and understand what point you are making, but a casual reading of Tim's comments seems more like a platform for complaining about the lack of equality for gays. if that's what you want for the NOE blog, fine, it's yours to do what you want. I'll just scroll past his posts so I can read something that is actually helpful.
EHB

Dennis R. Lieb said...

EHB,

I won't belabor this any further but a final comment...

We now have eight regular contributors to this blog. I am one voice. My concerns about the state of the city are widely dispersed among dozens of topics but I will choose to write about a handful that I am most qualified to respond to. I do this because I was trained in architecture, real estate and civic design. I also care deeply (and have studied a bit more than the average person) about the lack of legitimate democratic processes at the local level. I will get into more of these on my own posts when time allows.

My point is that Tim believes one of the issues in Easton is his own social standing in the community due to sexual orientation. For whatever reason, I've never felt threatened by the gay and lesbian folks among us. I don't think they are trying to "convert" me or preying on our kids anymore than any other demographic would prove to be. But I don't live it like he does and I can't talk to the issues either. Tim feels it is something as important to him as say...getting our streets turned back to two-way is to me. This is why we have eight people blogging instead of one.

Certainly make your own choices about what to read. As for me, I am going to back off responding in defense of other posters for a while and concentrate on my own issues. I'm beginning to get a bit tired of my own voice - as I'm sure are others - and will let each person defend themselves...or not.

DRL