Friday, November 6, 2009

When Is Poverty Poverty?



Posted by: Noel Jones


This post started out as a comment in response to Tim Pickel's post from Haiti below, and went over the word limit, so I decided it might be better as a post of it's own.






While living in Salvador, Bahia in Brazil, I witnessed poverty on a scale that I had never encountered before in person. People lived in handmade one or two-room shacks with dirt floors on the sides of hills in neighborhoods called refavelas, where middle-class homes lined the tops of each hill, and each major hill was a different neighborhood in the city of Salvador.


One thing that struck me was how many amputees there were among the poor--primarily because of untreated or poorly maintained diabetes. I saw hospitals and orphanages that made me want to cry. The sheer scope of the poverty there was overwhelming, and yet Brazil is not among the most poverty-stricken countries by far--on the contrary, they have a small but thriving middle class there, and although it has a reputation for being a dangerous country, it is not nearly as dangerous as many African countries. While I was there I translated for a delegation of Indian professionals from the Rotary Club, who had come to meet with professionals in Brazil about the common effects of poverty in their two countries, especially where health was concerned, since their climates have similarities. It was a real eye-opener.  

That said, I get annoyed when people talk about poverty in America as if it's really not that bad, compared to these other countries, as if we shouldn't worry about it unless it gets that bad. As if 1 in 5 Americans below the poverty line is acceptable.
As if it's ok that we have millions of children and adults in this country without health insurance, or proper education. As if domestic violence is acceptable if someone has a big TV in their apartment, because they should have spent their money better. As if we should turn our backs on abused and neglected children and judge them for the adults they become, because "their parents should have raised them better."  

The biggest obstacles to eradicating poverty in America are, in my opinion, psychology, under-education and racism, in that order. I base that perspective on having spent the first seven years of my life growing up in poverty, and then by what I've observed living in Spanish Harlem and Brazil.  

All the handouts in the world (and all of the mottos like "pull yourself up by your bootstraps!") are not going to help the poor until the issue of psychology is addressed. And anyone who has gone through therapy at all can tell you that it takes more than a few weeks of counseling to unravel the compelling effects of child abuse and neglect during a human's most developmental years--zero to 3 years old, compounded by any traumatic events, abuses and resulting depression that follow. All of these things affect one's ability to hold down a job, maintain their finances, choose healthy relationships and properly care for children. Regardless of the behavior of a parent, every child deserves to start at the same starting line in life--at least in terms of health care and education. Until that is the case, our work as a community is not done.  

And for those who constantly claim that America is the greatest country in the world and try to make us feel like we are doing the best that can be done and should just feel lucky compared to the poverty-levels of third-world countries, I say this: Why should we be comparing ourselves to third-world countries, rather than first-world countries? Scandinavian countries have eradicated poverty, so why can't we? If we're The Greatest Country in the World, and other countries have eliminated poverty, than shouldn't we have eliminated poverty by now too?  

Still, it's always a good idea to count one's blessings, and I'm grateful for Tim Pickel's posts from Haiti, as they certainly help keep things in perspective and remind us where we don't want our statistics to go from here.  

I'm interested to hear about other neighbor's experiences with poverty--whether your own, or someone else's. And what do you think that can be done here? One interesting debate that isn't held enough, is the idea of welfare vs. job creation, which is typically a Left vs. Right argument. I think both sides have valuable points to make, and too often the result is a polarized finger-pointing fest where one side gets labeled "irresponsible spenders" and the other gets labeled "those who don't care about poor people," which is really too bad, and not at all accurate.  

This blog is a forum for political and philosophical debate, where hopefully we can consider each others points and adjust our points of view, until the best instances of vision and creative problem solving filter to the top and we solve our problems together as a community of different perspectives. This is what real listening is, and what does not happen enough in this country, in my opinion. What's your opinion?

Yours,
Noel Jones
Neighbors of Easton

9 comments:

peterkc said...

The extent of poverty in this country is outrageous, especially because it exists in the shadow of such immense wealth. Why is poverty such a problem here but not in Scandinavia? Why is our healthcare the most expensive in the world, but quality is rated #37 [just above Slovenia]!?

In most cases, poverty is caused by long-standing structural problems in our society or, as Noel points out, by the trauma of being exposed to violence or abuse. 100 years ago, African-Americans owned about 1% of wealth in this country. The percentage today in the so-called 'post-racial' era -- still 1%!

As for other countries, some of the problems start here. I suppose I'll be 'negative' for this, but I think it's pretty easy to see that poverty in many other countries is increased or caused by U.S. foreign and economic policies -- often enforced by the U.S. military -- that protect dictators and wealthy elites who exploit the poor.

Poverty is a great example of why we need to see problems in order to solve them. We won't make things better by pretending poverty is not a problem or that people are poor only because they are lazy or stupid. Thinking back to Noel's 'war on positivity' post, I'd say that this is an example of how bringing a problem into the open is essential to moving towards a more positive future!

noel jones said...

Thanks for posting, Peter. I did not know that 1% statistic today--that is truly shocking.

David Caines said...

While it's sick to think about it, poverty is an American freedom. It is one of our rights, though not I think one that we talk about much.And it is protected under law...I.E...you can't force someone to take advantage of social programs or the like. YOu can't force people to take advantage of schooling oportunities, you can't force people to work. You can't force people to get on the pill, wear condoms or even in many states present them with realistic options for birth control.
Perhaps not surprisingly I support schools who have a condom bow. I support being able to let underage girls get on the pill without parental consent. I support the legality of under age abortions and addoptions without parental consent and I support mandatory abortion or addoption for underage mothers. But it is a childs right to have and raise a child regadless of the fact that such a right is likely to destroy both lives.
I support madatory parenting classes for highschool freshmen and mandatory life skills classes for the same. Right up there with reading and writting and possibly more important. I support mandatory reporting of suspected child abuse, and mandatory counselling for both parent and child, wish they'd been around as laws in my youth.
What I think is funny in it's way is that this subject lies at the heart of just about every social issue addressed by this blog and yet so few have responded to it.
I'd love to see some serious open disscussion on this issue, so we'll see.
Thanks,
David

Anonymous said...

Great post and comments about poverty!

I once lived a few years in a country (Australia) that has almost no poverty, no extreme/obscene wealth, and a very high standard of living for all, including free education and health care, and unbelievable vacation time, holidays, workers benefits, etc. Nobody worked evenings or weekends.

While there, I had seen nothing but the best - so, before I left, I wanted to be shown the worst. There was no 'worst' to show me, compared to the 'worst' in America - not by a long long long shot.

There I learned that high poverty rates we see in places like America were not required in order to generate huge wealth for the rich there, since there were very few squillionaires! That seemed so strange to an American like me.

Lest anyone think otherwise, there is indeed huge money to be made in poverty and its attenuated industries, legal or illegal.

Poverty is one of the most lucrative industries in America, and Easton is certainly no exception - just look around and do the math!

Many are getting very rich on the poor, from the lotteries, to the tobacco and alcohol companies, to government-subsidized housing that pays an absentee landlord lots more per square foot than market rates (and it's guaranteed that the rent check won't bounce).

Not to mention the incarceration industry and its legions of lawyers, or the military that offers lucrative jobs for poor youth who can get no other work, so are forced to 'volunteer' to fight our so-called 'wars.'

Like David commented, there is a freedom in America to get very rich, and to stay very poor. We Americans are free to get highly educated or to stay very uneducated.

Like the slogan says, if you think education is expensive, try ignorance! (always remembering that there is somebody always getting very rich on the uneducated, and often getting a lot of votes too).

When I looked around Australia those years, most everything looked great, without the flip side I expected to see. When my Australian friends visit America, the love it and are also stunned at the poverty they see here; they cannot believe their eyes.

In places like Australia, it's impossible to sink to the depths of poverty so many sink to here. There is major intervention there to prevent it (a.k.a., governmental interference). There is also social mores to prohibit it. It's a very 'controlled' population there, moreso than they realize, since growing up there they know nothing else.

To obtain a well-educated and healthy population, Australia spends big bucks to educate and pay their citizens to travel abroad, with generous vacation time mandated, and high-wages required.

Companies cannot exploit their workers; unions are very strong. With all this major government intervention there, my taxes were about the same as here, maybe even lower, since there isn't the duplication and huge government that dominates America federally, statewide, and locally.

There also isn't a colossal military budget dwarfing everything else, like here.

Extreme/obscene wealth is heavily taxed, so those who wish to fulfill their desire for a greedy lifestyle have to leave their homeland and come to 'freer' places like America. Many do, especially celebrities who suddenly 'strike it rich' and wish to keep some of it.

Australia is a country larger than America in land area, but about the size of Pennsylvania's population, so it is not over-populated; rather, it's very under-populated. Socially it is tacky to have a huge family, or to eat too much food.

So when I see poverty back in the USA, I see dollar signs. I know that somebody's cleaning up! Sadly, it's not the poor person who's getting ahead.

David Caines said...

Hi Tim,
I remember sitting around the fire and hearing you talk about Australia...I'm surprised our tongues weren't rolling on the ground in envy. The free college thing in particular just made me drool. I'm in a catch 22 on that right now in that I qualify for state dissability so being disablbed in Pa I can't get funding through Pa Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, but I'm still appealing the first SSD finding and as such don't qualify for federal assistance or grants. It drives me a bit nuts actualy because with retraining I might be able to find some form of work and get back to it. I miss work, can't imagine how people function without it?
Which brings up another thing for me that I see in easton and realy haven't seen too many other places and that is for lack of better terms a pride of poverty or possibly poverty of spirit.
It's something Jeanette and I talk about sometimes, because we've both been on the wrong side of the dollar more than once in our lives, but even in that poverty, the other poor folk were like us, always in motion, always fixing, trying to move up or move forward, or simply seeing to the tasks of the day. Yet when we drive around town sometimes what we see is people not in motion, people seemingly just sitting there waiting to die. Even those on our block do nothing, are nothing, don't even seem to have hopes or dreams ( I've talked to them and it's down right freaky). I'll admit this is a bit outside of our realm of experiences.
As someone who has lived here for some time maybe you might help us understand this a bit better?
Particularly as it regards helping such people to get up and out, maybe Terrence as a Pastor has some thoughts, but this is new to us. And no small part of the reason we've begun thinking out of the box a bit more. The standard programs may not be of much worth here as they require a level of effort on the part of those being helped that seems to just be beyond many of the locals?
Hopefuly I'm just wrong here, it wouldn't be the first time,
But if not I will throw the matter out to better minds than mine and hope for some answers, or at least some trains of thought to follow.
Thanks,
David

noel jones said...

Tim and David, you make great points. Poverty is, of course, a very complicated and compounded problem, so I'm not going to pretend to know all of the answers, but one thing that I rarely hear addressed with regard to poverty, is diet, especially what is covered by WIC in terms of diet.

America is one of the few countries in the world where a poor person's body is often an obese body. It seems counter-intuitive, and yet there it is. Corn syrup is in almost all package foods and fast food, and especially sodas, and is a great contributor to obesity. Obesity then effects one's ability to move and be energetic, as well as adding to depression that is often already there in those that live below the poverty line. So there exists a vicious circle of consumption and lethargy that continues to drag a person down (or simply pin them to their porches and sofas).

Does anyone know if WIC stamps cover soda, sweets, sugary cereals and fast food? If so, I think one positive step would be to make WIC only cover healthy food.

And I still say the #1 obstacle in the way of eradicating poverty is psychology, and think that maybe we should link mandatory counseling with receiving WIC stamps, so that people get a long-term, consistent amount of counseling needed to combat the often deep depression and life trauma that the poor have experienced in their life-times, contributing to a patterned, unhealthy cycle.

There are many other contributors, such as lack of skills, lack of work available, disabilities, lack of education and mental illness, that contribute to poverty too, but I bring these too ideas up just because I don't hear them discussed and would like to see them explored.

noel jones said...

meant to say "two ideas"--argh.

celticwarrior said...

hay peterkc I was wondering were you got that info.about that only1% of africans only own 1% of wealth.not sure I agree but could be wrong I would like if you could show me.if they are I could perhaps give you a few good reasons why.

Nikkita said...

Hey Noel, it's been a LONG time since I saw a wic card (and to those out there that are salivating at the chance to attack - I was literally on wic for 2 years before I made too much to qualify for assistance and worked my way up an IT job that I had for 10 years before quitting making almost 60K a year to be closer to home with my daughter after my mom died of cancer

Anyway from what I recall you had to choose things that were allowed which included milk, formula, baby food, cereals, fruits etc. But no one really shows you how to read labels or what is really healthy for you other than throwing a food pyramid at you.

I'm still in the process of learning what is really good for my body(food wise) and people who are poor are more worried about buying food that they can stretch not food that is healthy because those drinks that are filled with high fructose corn syrup and red 40 are $2.99 for a 128 oz while the healthier drink is $4.00 for 64 oz. So which one do you think a person is going to buy for their family? Same thing with the cereals, the ones with all the sugar are alot cheaper (and more appealing to the kids) than the healthier ones.