Thursday, January 28, 2010

This and That



I thought that instead of writing my latest blog on a specific topic, I would instead hit on several. I continuously have trouble getting my thoughts narrowed down to one subject, so why not just let my brain loose?

1. I would like to give you an update on Haiti. The orphanage is a total loss. The children have been moved to Love A Child Orphanage, an hour outside of Port au Prince. The contents of the orphanage have also been moved to a secure place and will remain there until we decide what our next move is. We do own land in Pouly, north of Port au Prince. The land already has a wall built around it and will eventually contain the new orphanage and a medical clinic. Hopefully building will start soon and the children can move into their new home.


Two final thoughts on Haiti. I appreciate everyone who sent a donation to Lifechurch. I especially thank Noel for orchestrating the concert for Friday night to benefit Rescue Children Orphanage. The donations will be used to temporarily house the children in Love A Child orphanage and to the building of the new orphanage and medical clinic. Finally, I know that all but one of my friends are doing well. I fear that we may never know what happened to him but feel he is in the hands of God.

2. Easton's school board is out of control (not that that is a surprise to anyone). In my opinion they spend money recklessly and without much care for the tax-paying public. There may be a couple of board members who genuinely care about the alarming tax rate but most are there to push their own personal agendas. If you were to watch the board's webcasts you would be shocked at how little discussion there is between board members before voting on bills.

I have spoken at board meetings in the past. For the most part I felt that they were being put out by having to listen to the public. It was just a part of the job they had to put up with. Now it is all they can do to get their eyes off of the laptops in front of them to even glance at you. Some members such as Pat Vulcano seem to have no idea why they are even there. Scary!

3. I am happy to see a street cleaning program in place and starting soon. When I was on city council, the subject was broached but I vote against it because I did not think the city had a firm plan in mind and lacked the commitment to see it through. I hope it is being done the correct way this time and it will succeed. Although some people will be put off by having to move their cars and angry at a $20.00 ticket or two, I believe everyone will adjust and our neighborhoods will be cleaner in the long run.

4. In an attempt to regain my strength I have been walking the West Ward. I think I have been down every street and alley in the past two weeks. One observation I made was the amount of properties with a ton of junk in the backyard. If we want to build our neighborhoods and attract new owners, we have to get the city code department out there citing these people. Who wants to live next to a property that has everything including the kitchen sink in their backyard?

I am done thinking for now...

Tim Pickel

5 comments:

noel jones said...

Thanks for the post, and the update on the orphanage, Tim.

With regard to the EASD, some of us who are going to the school board meeting tonight will be having our first experience--If you're feeling up to it, please come out--we'd love to have someone experienced along for the ride.

The press will be there tonight and is looking forward to getting resident comment on this tax hike, so, the more the merrier! This has got to be stopped.

Here are the details for anyone who can make it:

Easton Area School Board Meeting (Finance Committee)
Thursday, Jan. 28, 7:30 p.m.
Easton Area Education Center
1801 Bushkill Drive

Here is a map with directions starting from 13th & Northampton:

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&rls=en&q=1801%20Bushkill%2C%20Easton%2C%20PA&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

noel jones said...

oh and p.s. the benefit for Haiti this Saturday night was the creation of WW residents Patrick Poladian, Maciek Ulbrecht and Carol Broughton--I just brought up contributing directly to the orphanage rather than to one of the bigger aid groups that are already receiving so much in donations, and they agreed.

I hope to see everyone there!

hopeunseen said...

Tim,

I meet with a number of Christian men every Tuesday morning at 6:30 am. We break bread then a good portion of us go out prayer walking through the streets of Easton. I'd like to invite you to meet with us to pray with you for Haiti and the orphange. If your interested please email me.

Sandra Walters Weiss said...

Tim,I should have stayed at block Watch,but thank you for sharing what is going on with those of us that have had the privilege to work with you and have you touch us all with what is truly your passion.I pray that as each day passes you grow stronger and stronger and you can get back where you want to be,enjoy the time in Florida with your loved one's and keep us updated.Soak up God's sunshine and may it energize you for what is your next mission. For you certainly have your work cut out for you,build that village.
Peace SWW

noel jones said...

Good news--the benefit for the Rescue Children Orphanage in Haiti raised $640--thanks to all who came--it was so nice to see a packed house!