Tuesday, December 21, 2010

New Year's Crayon Drop in Centre Square, Easton

Easton's Crayola Factory


Posted by: Noël Jones


No need to travel this New Year's Eve unless you really want to--According to the Express-Times, this year Easton will have its own special New Year's countdown when a giant illuminated crayon will drop at Centre Square in celebration of the Crayola Factory's 15th year in Easton. If a lot of people show up, the city will keep the crayon drop as a tradition every year. I hope that if they do, they move it to midnight, because this year they are planning the drop for 8pm on New Year's Eve, so that people who are planning to travel to Bethlehem's Peep Drop or New York's famous ball drop can do both. I guess that will be good for families who want to bring their kids without keeping them up until midnight, but I still hope that they will do it next year at midnight. A midnight countdown is a midnight countdown. I suppose we can all willingly suspend our disbelief and cheer and kiss at 8:00 though. I checked the World Clock in hopes that it might be New Year's somewhere at the moment, but the closest New Year's celebration to ours, time-wise, will be Rio De Janeiro, who is three hours later than us. I suppose it will be midnight somewhere out in the Atlantic Ocean...


I think that one of the coolest things about Easton is that it is such a walkable town with a nice historic square. With the propensity for drinking and making merry on New Year's Eve, it's great to live in a
town where you don't have to drive to have fun, and can enjoy some wassail without worrying about parking or how to get home. I hope a lot of people can make it out for this, because it could become another tradition to look forward to like the Peace Candle lighting, when people fill up Centre Square to cheer and have some holiday fun.


It's also worth celebrating the fact that a good company has stayed in town for 15 years and continues to draw 250,000+ visitors to boost tourism in Easton every year.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The city of Easton is really making an attempt at getting people into their city. I love the special events they have started and love going to them. I will be bringing my kids downtown that night. I also love the new shops that are starting to open. Keep up the good work.

noel jones said...

Anon--me too. I think the recent curb cuts and cross walks make a big difference too. I can't wait to see the riverfront parks when they are done--I hope they'll be done in the spring so we can enjoy them all summer and fall.

tunsie said...

BARNEY the dino taught us all if U want people.go after their children and make them smile and the parents will follow.It is all about the CHILDREN not bars,restaurants....people want to see smiles on the children.more child friendly events will draw people......It makes for a safer city as well....Tunsie

ikindle said...

I saw a $15 per person fee attached to the Crayola New Year's festivities. Or is that only to get inside the museum. So many towns and cities around the country have great family friendly and free First Night celebrations, I was dissappointed to see Crayola trying to make a buck off this one.

Alan Raisman said...

Ian,

That price tag is only to get inside the museum. The fireworks display are free of charge. Since Crayola now owns the plaza outside the Crayola Factory, I am unsure if they are going to block it off, but I doubt they will. Enjoy the fireworks display with your family!!

noel jones said...

ikindle and Alan--thanks for this info!